About the product

Anzac Medallion 1915 Australia

Anzac Commemorative Medallion, issued to Jack Ferguson, in fitted box of issue with issue slip, for service with the ANZAC forces in Gallipoli during WW1. Wounded multiple times at Gallipoli and France

Out of stock

SKU: J6955 Category:
Origin: United Kingdom
Good Very Fine


Anzac Commemorative Medallion, issued to J. Ferguson, in fitted box of issue with issue slip, for service with the ANZAC forces in Gallipoli during WW1.


Officially named: “J. Ferguson”.


An old original paper cutting of his obituary shows him as “John Alexander Ferguson” better known as Jack.


It reads:


“FERGUSON (Gallipoli Veteran): The funeral of the late Mr John Alexander (Jack) Ferguson of the Kimberley Nursing Home, Leederville is appointed to arrive at the Karrakatta Crematorium Chapel for an Anglican Service at 1015 o’clock Tomorrow (Thursday) Morning.
Arthur J Purslowe and Co, North Perth.”


Born as John Alexander Ferguson, he preferred “Jack”, which he enlisted as on 4th January 1915 in Richmond, to join the Australian Imperial Force.


Births records confirm no Jack was born in 1897, but John Alexander Ferguson, the son of George Robert D Ferguson and Florence Bursurym was born in Launceston, Tasmania on 9th January 1897.


He was very tall for the time, standing at 5 foot 11 inches, he claimed to be 18 years and 3 months old, he was in fact still 17, with 4 more days until his real birthday when he would actually turn 18, also he had enlisted under his nickname to avoid suspicion.


Included in his service papers is his permission letter form his father, dated 9th January 1914: “I hereby give my consent, for my son (John Alexander Ferguson) to join the Expeditionary Force during the period of the war. Geo R. D. Ferguson.”


He embarked at Fremantle on 19th April 1915 on HMAT Argyllshire for war in Gallipoli.


He was taken on strength with the Gallipoli Reinforcements on 16th June 1915 and served with 12th Battalion A.I.F.


Only 11 days later, on 27th June 1915, he was admitted to 1st General Hospital, having received a Bullet Wound to the chest in action.


Having survived this wound, he lived to fight another day, after the withdrawal from Gallipoli, he rejoined his unit and served from late 1915 until 1916.


On 23rd July 1916, he was again wounded, admitted to the 1st Canadian General Hospital on the 27th, he had received multiple gun shot wounds to the body.


He was invalided to England and was treated at the General Hospital in Chelsea, found to have compound fracture of his right arm from a severe shell wound.


During 1917 he recovered and was sent back to Australia to be discharged from his wounds.


Fortunately he went on to live a long life once back in Australia and the obituary appears to be from his death on 28th July 1981 at Leederville, West Australia, he had his ashes scattered to the winds at Karrakatta Cemetery as requested.


He even claimed his own Medallion, he sent the letter, which is still in his service record, from Roberts Street, Bayswater, Perth circa 1967 reading:


“I am making an application for the Anzac Commemorative Medallion, full name John Ferguson, number 1827, unit 12th Battalion, Service in Gallipoli and France, 2 and a Half Years, Yours Faithfully John Ferguson, Jack.”