About the product

Army LSGC VR Large Letter 1850

£345.00

Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal, VR, Large Letter reverse, Sergeant James Thomson, 92nd Highlanders, dated 1850.

In stock

Origin: United Kingdom
Nearly Extremely Fine

Description

Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal, VR, Large Letter reverse, Sergeant James Thomson, 92nd Highlanders, dated 1850.

 

A scarce early Army LSGC with officially engraved naming and dated on edge: “Sergt Jas Thomson 92 Foot 1850”
With original clip and bar suspension as issued.
With printed copy service papers.

 

Born in Forglen, Banffshire, Scotland circa 1808.

 

Attested for unlimited service in the Army with the 92nd Highlanders aged 20 on 7th August 1828 service number 704, he stood at 5 Foot 11 inches, receiving a bonus of 2 shillings and sixpence.

 

He would go on to serve for 21 years 235 days, of which 8 years 5 months were spent overseas.
Spent 1 year 11 months in Gibraltar.
5 Years, 2 Months in Malta.
1 Year, 4 Months in West Indies. (around Barbados).

 

He was promoted to Corporal on 2nd January 1831, which he served as for 5 years.
Promoted to Sergeant on 1st April 1836 for 10 years.
Appointed as Hospital Sergeant for remainder, from 20th October 1846 until 20th March 1850.

 

At the start of his service from 1828 until 1834, the 92nd Highlanders were deployed across Ireland to “Aid the Civil Powers” during what was known as the “Tithe War”, which involved keeping order during a period of lawlessness and the unpopular task of collecting the Tithes from the locals and tackling some gangs of agrarian criminals.

 

Following their time in Ireland they embarked at Cork in Feb 1834 for Gibraltar until January 1836, before moving to Malta, where they spent 5 years.

 

In January 1841, the Service Companies of the 92nd left Malta for Barbados, arriving in April. In May 1843 the HQ and 1 Company moved to Trinidad, while detachments were stationed at Grenada and Tobago.

 

He saw out the rest of his service back in Scotland, once the service companies arrived back home in Aberdeen in February 1844.