About the product

DCM Russian Bravery Rifle Brigade


Distinguished Conduct Medal, 1914 Star Trio, Russian Order of St George, Bravery Medal, named, Rifleman Albert Moore, 1st Rifle Brigade, decorated for 1914 and died before he could receive his honours in May 1915

In stock

Origin: United Kingdom
Extremely Fine


Distinguished Conduct Medal, 1914 Star Trio, Russian Order of St George, 4th Class Medal for Bravery, officially named, Rifleman Albert Moore, 1st Rifle Brigade, decorated for 1914 and died of wounds before he could receive his honours on 12th May 1915.


DCM officially impressed: “8110 Pte. A. Moore. 1/Rif. Bde.”
1914 Star officially impressed: “8110 Pte A. Moore. 1/Rif. Brig.”
BWM and Victory Pair Officially impressed: “8110 Pte. A. Moore. Rif. Brig.”
Russian Medal officially impressed: “8110 Pte A. Moore. 1/Rif Bde.”, reverse numbered No. 165206, in matching numbered Russian envelope as issued.


Medals all in near mint condition as awarded posthumously, all in boxes of issue, with original numbered Russian medal envelope.


Rifleman Albert Moore was born during 1881, in Winchester, Hampshire, the son of Jesse and Lucy A. Moore, local Agricultural labourers. They lived at Enmill Cottages, Pitt Hamlet in Hursley, Winchester.


By 1914, as there was news of a potential war, he married his Wife Emily May Moore on 18th July 1914, and they lived together at 17 St Clement Street, in Winchester.


As an Army Reservist, he was immediately mobilised for service upon the outbreak of the war, and posted to the 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade.

The 1st battalion were amongst the first British Forces to arrive for the war as part of the Regular Army, they landed at Le Havre on 23rd August 1914.


His Distinguished Conduct Medal was officially announced in the London Gazette on 1st April 1915, shortly before his death, the citation reading:

“For Gallant conduct on 19th December, 1914, in carrying up ammunition on six occasions to the firing line whilst under fire.”

His Russian Medal was announced in the London Gazette on 25th August 1915.

He was one of only 300 British Soldiers to earn this medal during WW1.


He was awarded his Distinguished Conduct Medal for his bravery in holding “German House” during the 11th Brigadde, 4th Divisions attack on the German position known as “The Birdcage” on 19th December 1914, on the east edge of Ploegsteert Wood.

The 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade has been ordered to storm and capture “German House” at around 2.30pm after a preliminary bombardment from the artillery, they managed to take the house and hold it, then they attempted to take “Second House” but due to friendly fire from their own artillery they could not be reinforced so were forced to withdraw and hold out in “German House” as long as possible.

During the attack, the 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade suffered heavy casualties, losing 5 Officers and 65 Other Ranks as Killed, Wounded or Missing.

The extract of the battle from “The History of the Rifle Brigade in the War of 1914-1918 Vol I” by William Seymour mentions Rifleman Moore:

“From the very beginning of the action misfortune was experienced. Captain Morgan-Grenville, at the head of the assaulting platoons, was shot dead immediately. His men, unchecked by heavy rifle and machine gun fire-for the enemy defences were quite unharmed by the British artillery charged the German Houses and captured the two nearest our line. But the supporting platoon in moving forward from the edge of the wood was caught in the fire from our own artillery and brought to a standstill. On the right the attack was held up at the line of a fence just beyond Second German House. On the left the attackers were checked by mud and shell holes, and completely broken up by the combination of heavy machine gun and rifle fire from their front and shorts from their own artillery behind. In an attempt to find touch with the Somerset Light Infantry on the left, the officer in charge, and Lieutenant A. S. L. Daniell, and the small party with him were killed. The house parties, however, were established on the first objective, and Captain Micklem had his machine guns in action in the Second German House.”
“An hour after the beginning of the attack, therefore, there was one platoon in touch with the Hampshires on the right; the original supporting platoon was working up a German communication trench near the road by which the attackers had advanced; there was the remnant of a platoon holding the road that runs north from German House, but suffering from hostile machine gun fire; and there was a body of men about a platoon strong, together with the Machine Guns, holding the captured houses. Beyond this position it was impossible to advanced for want of covering fire and by reason of the state of the ground. Rifleman A. Moore won the D.C.M. and Medal of St George 4th Class, for bringing up ammunition six times to enable the garrison to hold out.
An attempt to organise a renewal of the attack under Captain Prittie, the Battalion 2nd in Command, was only productive of the death of that most gallant officer. Reinforcement could only be carried out at the price of heavy casualties.”