About the product

QSA 5 Bars 2nd Dragoon Guards

QSA, 5 Bars, 4772 Private Hugh Sydney Beater, 2nd Dragoon Guards, an Old Contemptible who joined back from the reserve to fight in France during August 1914.

Out of stock

Origin: United Kingdom
Good Very Fine


Queen’s South Africa Medal, 5 bars, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902, 4772 Private Hugh Sydney Beater, 2nd Dragoon Guards.


Officially impressed: “4772 Pte H.S. Beater. 2nd Dragoon Gds:”


Confirmed on the medal roll for all 5 clasps, without a KSA.


With copy service papers, recording services in Boer War and WW1.


His discharge in 1916 after 21 years:

“His conduct has been Exemplary”

“A Steady and Sober man, Good Groom and Rider, He has been employed in the Armourers Shop”


Born in Croydon, Surrey circa 1876.



Home, 27th Feb 1899 – 15th Nov 1901

South Africa, 16th Nov 1901 – 15th Jan 1907

Home, 16th Jan 1907 – 26th Feb 1907

Army Reserve, 27th Feb 1907 – 4th August 1914

Mobilised at Home, 5th August 1914 – 18th Agust 1914

Expeditionary Force France, 19th August 1914 – 20th Feb 1916

Home, 21st Feb 1916 – 26th February 1916.


Although he had a good record, during the Boer War he was temporarily a Lance Corporal, but was severely punished:

Heidelberg, South Africa, 12th June 1902, Making an Improper Reply to an NCO, reported by Sergeat Paton.

Sentenced to 168 hours of Imprisonment with hard labour.”


This was not his first offence.


Aldershot, 15th April 1900, Absent off pass from 12 midnight until 930pm, Admonished.

28th April 1900, Overstaying his pass from 12 midnight until 9 30am.

Aldershot, 19th June 1900, 1, Breaking out of Barracks after watch sitting. 2, Not complying with an order given by a NCO, deprived of the Lance Corporal Stripe.

12th June 1902, at Heidelberg, Making an improper reply to an NCO, Sgt Luton, 168 hours imprisonment


In later years he did clean up his act and discharge to the reserve in 1907: “Conduct Very Good” “Good Soldier, Groom and Rider, Steady and Sober.”


After leaving the Army, he settled after the war in Bath, Somerset, listed as working as a Gardener during 1921.


He died in bath during 1957.